FUND YOUR BIG IDEA with a Kleinman student grant. Grants are offered four times per year in the spring, summer, fall, and winter, and are open to individual students as well as student groups.
To date, we have funded more than 200 Penn students. Here's how Kleinman Center grants enrich student learning.
What We Fund
- Research. Get the resources you need for research.
- Travel. Fund travel to a conference or event.*
- Internships. Unpaid internship? Apply for a stipend.
- Events. Organize an event on-campus or beyond.*
- Projects. Launch a new project with the supplies you need.
- Other. We welcome your energy policy idea. Tell us about it.
* NOTE: Due to COVID-19, live events and University-sponsored travel are suspended until further notice. We still welcome proposals for online events or virtual conference attendance.
- Fall 2020: October 1
- Winter 2020-2021: December 1
- Spring 2021: February 1
- Summer 2021: April 1
Applicants will be notified of funding decisions within 15 days of the submission deadline.
Please carefully review the following requirements before submitting a grant request:
- All grants must be prospective. Expenses incurred prior to funding approval will not be reimbursed.
- If you are requesting funds for reimbursement of out-of-pocket travel expenses, you may only be eligible to receive a taxable award.
- Funding decisions are based on funding availability, student eligibility, energy policy relevance, and completeness of the application.
- Grants are available to students at the University of Pennsylvania only. Students must be in good academic and financial standing with the University.
- Students are eligible to receive one grant per academic year.
- Requests for grants to support opportunities offered by other organizations are contingent upon meeting all related policies and requirements.
International travel related to a Kleinman Center grant must be registered with MyTrips International Travel Registry.
NOTE: Penn requires advanced approval for undergraduates traveling to regions on Penn’s list of heightened risk regions. If you are traveling to a heightened risk region, please seek approval prior to submitting a grant request.
Ph.D. and doctoral students applying for funding for research projects should apply through our Research Grants Program. Doctoral students are eligible to apply using the student grants program for funding for specific needs including: conference attendance, event support, and internships.