Penn Sustainability Undergraduate Intern
Penn’s Sustainability Office is seeking two undergraduate summer interns to support the University’s sustainability programs and work for the Climate and Sustainability Action Plan 3.0. Interns will have the opportunity to work closely with a team of sustainability professionals and assist in the coordination of outreach programs, strategic marketing and education initiatives, and operational research projects. This is an excellent opportunity for students interested in careers within the sustainability field and a valuable opportunity to gain exposure working on behalf of a large, mission-driven organization.
Summer internships with Penn’s Sustainability Office are designed to give students exposure to a broad cross-section of the sustainability field, and in addition to managing hands-on projects and conducting research assignments, students will also be given many opportunities to learn throughout their experience.
Interns will be asked to help with a host of programs and projects over the summer and will gain valuable skills in program management, event facilitation, marketing strategy, sustainability research, and more.
Ideal candidates should have a passion for sustainability, prior experience with event planning, and must be highly organized with strong interpersonal skills. Previous involvement in environmental groups and initiatives is a plus.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide hands-on support and coordination for programs aimed at incoming and returning students: Move-In Green, New Student Orientation, and PennGreen Pre-Orientation
- Provide research support for Penn’s Environmental Sustainability Advisory Committee (ESAC) and the University’s Climate and Sustainability Action Plan 3.0
- Provide marketing and communications support for strategic sustainability priorities, procurement of promotional sustainability items, and inventory management
- Assist in developing curriculum and content for Student Eco-Reps Program
- Assisting with farming and developing programming at the Penn Park Orchard, Penn Garden, and other growing spaces on campus
- Attend semi-weekly meetings as needed
- Strong writing, communication, and program coordination skills
- General knowledge about broad issues pertaining to environmental sustainability
- Considerable experience with event planning and outreach
- Prior experience leading peers in student organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work well independently and in teams
Interested applicants should submit a copy of their resume and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and students are encouraged to submit their applications early. Please use “Sustainability Internship Application” as your email subject.