Penn Sustainability Graduate Intern
Penn Sustainability is a University-wide initiative to advance environmental sustainability at the University of Pennsylvania and to continue developing a more sustainable campus through implementation of Penn’s Climate and Sustainability Action Plan 3.0. The Penn Sustainability Office was established in 2010 to manage outreach campaigns, engagement programs, and to coordinate efforts across campus in support of environmental quality and performance.
The Penn Sustainability Office is seeking two graduate interns to support campus sustainability. Major projects include continuing to update and monitor stormwater management practices, establishing a water-use benchmark for campus, quantifying the impact of managed print services, assisting in the development of a waste dashboard for campus, and providing research and analysis to support the Green Labs initiative.
Additionally, Interns will conduct research to aid the implementation of Penn’s Climate and Sustainability Action Plan 3.0, issued in 2019, in the areas of: Waste Minimization, Utilities and Operations, Physical Environment, Transportation, Purchasing, Academics, and Outreach and Engagement.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide research support implementation the University’s next Climate and Sustainability Action Plan
- Provide assistance to Penn’s LEED processes
- Assist in the development of Wellness-focused standards
- Research best practices in labs
- Assist in assessing stormwater practices on campus
- Aid in the implementation of other Climate and Sustainability Action Plan 3.0 initiatives
- Currently enrolled as a graduate student
- Strong writing skills, communication, and analytical skills
- Experience using R/Python (preferred, but not required)
- Knowledgeable about issues pertaining to environmental sustainability
- Knowledge of LEED and other green building standards
- Ability to work both independently and in a goal-oriented team atmosphere
- Graphic design skills a plus–including expertise with programs included in Adobe Creative Suite
Submit a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Sustainability Graduate Internship 2020”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and students are encouraged to submit their applications early.