Current and Former Mayors to Join COP25 Panel on Climate Finance and Sustainable Cities
WHAT: A moderated discussion on “Climate-Resilient Urban Infrastructure: Who Pays?”
WHEN: 10.00 to 11.30 | 10 December 2019
WHERE: Room 8 | Hall 9 | IFEMA Convention Center | Feria de Madrid | Madrid | Spain
- Mauricio Rodas, former Mayor of Quito, Ecuador
- Amanda Eichel, Executive Director of Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
- Maryke van Staden, Manager of Low Carbon Cities Program; Director of ICLEI's carbonn Center
- Stephen Hammer, Advisor to the World Bank Climate Change Group
- Ashok-Alexander Sridharan, Mayor of Bonn, Germany
- Koko Warner, Manager of Impacts, Vulnerability, and Risks at UNFCCC
- Thomas Lewis, President of WSP USA
- Jocelyn Perry, Global Shifts Program Manager at Perry World House (Penn)
- Mark Alan Hughes, Faculty Director of Kleinman Center for Energy Policy (Penn)
About the Panel
How can cities plan for climate-resilient infrastructure? And who pays the bill? This COP25 event, organized in collaboration with the University of Pennsylvania, ICLEI and the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy, will convene current and former mayors, policy makers, and leading scholars from around the world to discuss a timely and challenging topic.
Building on the outcomes of prior Focal Point Forums on human settlements and adaptation, as well as the Report of the Standing Committee on Finance’s 2019 Forum on “Climate Finance and Sustainable Cities,” this conversation will address key knowledge gaps with regard to localizing climate action and city finance.
The panel will include Mauricio Rodas, former Mayor of Quito, Ecuador and will be moderated by Mark Alan Hughes of Penn’s Kleinman Center for Energy Policy. After the discussion, Mayor Ashok-Alexander Sridharan of Bonn, Germany and Koko Warner of UN Climate Change will each make remarks. Stakeholders in attendance will be encouraged to contribute to the conversation.
This UNFCCC Nairobi Work Programme (NWP) dialogue is jointly hosted by the University of Pennsylvania’s Perry World House, Kleinman Center for Energy Policy, and Institute for Urban Research, in collaboration with ICLEI (Local Governments for Sustainability) and the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy.
The event is OPEN PRESS – only those credentialed for COP25 can access the room.
For more information, please contact: