Vehicle Engineering Internship
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable transportation and electricity consumption by designing and manufacturing electric vehicles and energy storage systems. Based in California, Tesla employs more than 13,000 people across four continents, and manufactures cars at their factory in Fremont, California. They are currently constructing the Gigafactory–the world’s largest lithium ion battery factory–in Sparks, Nevada, and have begun production of Tesla Energy battery storage products.
You will design, release, and launch vehicle components and subsystems. You will participate in the iterative process with the Tesla design and styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form, function and quality. Additionally, you will collaborate with cross functional teams within Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain to ensure assembly feasibility and serviceability.
Your application to the Vehicle Engineering Internship will be considered for all opportunities across the Vehicle Engineering team in Fremont, CA.
Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary based on the needs of the individual hiring team.
- Experience modeling components and assemblies in 3D CAD and create 2D prints (SolidWorks, CATIA V5).
- Demonstrated experience in Finite Element Analysis, Applied Solid Mechanics, and Numerical Methods within an automotive product development environment.
- Applied software experience in LS DYNA and/or MADYMO, experience in RADIOSS, OPTISTRUCT, ModeFrontier and ABAQUS.
- Pre-processor experience in Hyperworks or ANSA.
- Knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs.
- Understanding of GD&T in design engineering.
- Mechanical wrenching, basic fabrication, machining, wiring, general electronics, debugging, and parts chasing.
- Experience with aluminum structures is a plus.
- Experience in an automotive setting is a plus.
- Experience with crash safety is a plus.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program.
- You must be self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment.
- Hands-on experience is a must.
- Professional and positive communication skills.
- Previous internship and/or project experience is a plus.
- Ability to relocate to the Bay Area, California.