Sr. Market Strategist
Organization: PJM Department: Emerging Markets Location: Philadelphia
Type: Job Internship Link
The (Sr. / Lead) Market Strategist will report to the Manager, Emerging Markets. This position is responsible for understanding emerging issues in the energy industry and their relevance to wholesale electric markets. This position is also responsible for support in the tracking of issues impacting the PJM strategy as well as the development and expansion of emerging PJM market and service offerings. This role will include support of PJM’s core existing business strategies for evolving initiatives, such as price responsive demand and alternative technology implementations, by analyzing and addressing potential PJM market, operational, and reliability impacts.
PJM’s Emerging Markets is a dynamic group that is responsible for identifying and analyzing emerging market trends-- including economic, policy, regulatory and technology developments--and determining their potential impact on PJM. To perform this function, the group engages in internal market and corporate development projects, while also acting as a two-way conduit of information between relevant external and internal stakeholders. Additionally, it works across the organization to lend its knowledge and support the goals and initiatives of other PJM groups.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The (Sr. / Lead) Market Strategist responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Strategic Development:
- Provide quantitative and qualitative analytical support on topics that impact the PJM strategy including but not limited to forthcoming state and federal policy initiatives, technological advances in related energy areas, and broader economic trends.
- Acquire market intelligence on evolving legislative, regulatory, and market developments impacting PJM markets and operations, e.g., regarding changing fuel market dynamics, environmental policy and other emerging issues relevant to PJM markets and operations.
- Provide synthesis, analysis, and evaluation of market research, data, and policies. Develop presentations, papers and other materials that effectively communicate key findings or strategic recommendations in a non-technical narrative style where appropriate.
- Identify and implement strategic projects for evolving initiatives ensuring that all programs are designed appropriately and that they function as expected to provide value added services for PJM, PJM stakeholders, and other parties with interest in PJM and its market, operations, and planning outcomes.
- Perform industry outreach to legislators, regulators, and other industry or environmental organizations as a source of independent expertise and to gain strategic intelligence and networking opportunities to expand PJM’s strategic initiatives
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of evolving industry, legislative, and regulatory issues as they apply to the PJM System and the role of PJM as an ISO/RTO
- Broader PJM Support:
- Collaborate with other PJM departments and project teams to ensure key corporate and divisional objectives in Markets, Planning, and Operations are met
- Support the activities of PJM and industry committees/working groups/task forces involving issues related to the market. Support involves working with subject matter experts, or serving as a subject matter expert in coordinating the preparation of studies, analyses, or recommendations when and as required
- Network with other RTOs, regulatory agencies, and industry groups to advance PJM’s messaging
- Prepare reports and presentations as necessary to support activities associated with the Market Services Division.
- Possess a working knowledge of PJM operations and understanding of the PJM Agreements and Tariffs.
- Proactively identify and suggest innovative solutions to business problems.
Characteristics and Qualifications:
- BA, Economics
- BA, Statistics
- BS, Engineering
- BA, Mathematics
- At least 5 years of experience
- Ability to produce high-quality work products with attention to detail
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Ability to use mathematical and electrical theory
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide technical support
- MBA, Business Administration
- Experience with PJM operations, markets, and planning functions
- Experience using PSS/e (power system analysis program)