Risk Analyst Intern
AES is a Fortune 200 global power company. It provides affordable, sustainable energy to 18 countries through a diverse portfolio of distribution businesses as well as thermal and renewable generation facilities. Its workforce of 18,500 people is committed to operational excellence and meeting the world's changing power needs. AES’ 2014 revenues were $17 billion and it owns and manages $39 billion in total assets.
The Risk Analyst Intern provides quantitative analytics and commercial risk modeling to support AES Corporation US Strategic Business Unit Risk Management framework. Business includes regulated utility operations, unregulated merchant generation, renewable energy portfolio, and retail marketing. Work within the Risk Management department. Work closely with traders, risk analysts and others to analyze, value, and provide support as needed.
- Data management, integrity and reporting, including the development, maintenance and distribution of reports to be delivered to commercial operations, finance, accounting, and management.
- Research and build models to identify, quantify, monitor and report on commercial and operational risks.
- Shared responsibility for internal daily market updates and other duties as assigned.
- Research relevant financial and energy risk literature to ensure the company is using the latest models and statistical modeling techniques.
- Structure and perform back testing.
- Work in a team oriented manner.
- Communicate with multiple departments within the organization including commercial operations, generation, sales and marketing, finance, accounting, legal and regulatory.
- Sophomore status in the areas of business, statistics, math, engineering or other quantitative discipline.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills and an understanding of commodity transaction types and financial derivatives.
- Working vocabulary of risk concepts including mark-to-market, VaR, risk correlations, risk adjusted return, forward curve development, and volatility measurements.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong Excel and Access Skills
- Must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity, and value differences in others’ strengths, perspectives, and approaches.