Policy Research Assistant
The Kleinman Center is looking for a graduate or undergraduate student research assistant for Summer 2016. The position begins immediately and will continue through the end of August, with the potential to be extended during the academic year. The research assistant will report directly to the Center's Director of Policy and External Affairs and will assist with the preparation of policy research materials (papers and short digests), which will be posted on the Center's website and distributed to various interest groups.
The specific issues to be examined include but are not limited to:
• Researching policies and strategies to help revitalize distressed coal communities.
• Identifying employment and retraining opportunities for unemployed coal miners and supply chain workers.
• Examining the local impacts (benefits and drawbacks) of new or expanded industrial energy operations.
• Detailing case studies of how communities have bounced back after anchoring industries have exited.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Assist in the development of written materials for Center’s online publications
• Review and summarize research, reports, news articles, and blog posts
• Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data for reports
• Perform various editorial duties, including: draft, review, and edit materials for publication
• Assist in various communication initiatives to raise awareness of Center materials
Qualities of an Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in social policy, economic development, and workforce issues, and maintain an interest in energy policy.
The candidate must be detail oriented with exceptional writing and analytical skills. Prior work experience with community revitalization is appreciated, but not required.
Candidates may work remotely, but must commit to a regular, weekly, in-person or skype meeting. Ideally, candidates will be able to commit 20 hours/week to the duties outlined above. This is a paid position.
To apply, please send the following to Kleinman Center Director of Policy and External Affairs, Christina Simeone (email@example.com):
• Writing sample
• Email introduction, including any relevant data analysis or experience with Excel (either academic or professional)
Deadline: Please submit your application by May 6th.